Apr 27The Walmart Foundation Supports Mercy Housing to Help Seniors During Pandemic
The Walmart Foundation has given Mercy Housing Inc., a $200,000 grant to address food insecurity during the COVID-19 crisis
For Immediate Release: April 27, 2020
Contact: Kate Peterson | 303.830.3443 | email@example.com
This grant will help increase food availability at current pantries, while creating pop-up pantries at properties without existing food distribution centers. The funding will enable Mercy Housing to address:
- Limited ability for seniors to shop for food as they are asked to shelter in place and practice social distancing
- Reduced services from vital food delivery such as Meals on Wheels
- Reduced income for residents who are employed in industries affected by mass layoffs
- Reduced access to free and reduced lunches due to school closure
This $200,000 grant was a portion of Walmart and the Walmart Foundation’s $25 million commitment announced on March 17 to support organizations on the frontlines of COVID-19 responses. This series of grants will further the ability of organizations to help communities affected by the pandemic. On March 26, the Walmart Foundation announced that $10 million would be allocated to nine organizations — including Mercy Housing — that support food banks, schools and senior meal programs. The organizations share an overarching goal: providing access to food for underserved populations – a mission taking on even greater urgency in response to the novel coronavirus.
About Mercy Housing, Inc.
Mercy Housing, Inc. (MHI) is a leading national affordable housing nonprofit headquartered in Denver, CO. Established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1981, and in operation in 41 states, MHI has more than 38 years’ experience developing, preserving, managing, and financing affordable housing. MHI supplements much of its housing with Resident Services, programs that help residents build stable lives. MHI’s subsidiaries further the organization’s mission: Mercy Housing Management Group (MHMG) offers professional property management and Mercy Community Capital (MCC) finances nonprofit organizations.
MHI serves tens of thousands of people with low incomes, including families, seniors, veterans, people who have experienced homelessness, and people with disabilities. Its mission is to build a more humane world where poverty is alleviated, communities are healthy, and all people can live to their full potential. To learn more about MHI and the services it provides, visit mercyhousing.org.
About Philanthropy at Walmart
Walmart.org represents the philanthropic efforts of Walmart and the Walmart Foundation. By leaning in where the business has unique strengths, Walmart.org works to tackle key social issues and collaborate with others to spark long-lasting systemic change. Walmart has stores in 27 countries, employs more than 2 million associates and does business with thousands of suppliers who, in turn, employ millions of people. Walmart.org is helping people live better by supporting programs that work to accelerate upward job mobility for frontline workers, address hunger and make healthier, more sustainably grown food a reality, and build strong communities where Walmart operates. To learn more, visit www.walmart.org or connect on Twitter @Walmartorg.
You may also like:
- From Food Insecurity to Food Sovereignty Reimagining local food systems in the Sunnydale community According to the USDA Food Atlas, most...
- Mercy Housing Hires Head of Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release: Nov. 17, 2020 Contact: Kate Peterson | 303.830.3443 | firstname.lastname@example.org ...
- Mercy Housing Recognized by U.S. DOE and HUD for Achieving Better Buildings Challenge Goal of 24% Energy Savings PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release: June 8, 2020 Contact: Kate Peterson | 303.830.3443 | email@example.com...
- Bank of America Foundation and Mercy Housing Partner in Support of Affordable Housing in the Southeast PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release: September 16, 2020 Contact: Beth Haynes | 404.543.7849 | firstname.lastname@example.org...